Monday, November 7, 2011

N - Navigate
I have been in New York quite some time now and still have yet to really navigate my way through the city. I often times get lost and have to ask for help or have to turn around. My goal is to able to confidently make my way around the city as well as navigate to new parts of the city and its surrounding suburbs. Trips to Brooklyn anyone?
O - Organize
Everyone who knows me is probably asking, why organize? You already a very organized person. I choose organize because lately I have not been the most organized person that I usually am. After having moved across the country I felt my life was so unorganized in New York, not just physical but mentally/emotionally. I have finally started to sort out what I need to do, what needs to be forgotten and how to make myself feel centered and in control again.
V - Volunteer
I have been in New York a little over 6 months now and I finally have settled into a schedule that allows me time to begin volunteering again. A fellow kickball teammate of mine informed me about NY Cares, a volunteer organization that provides limitless opportunities to volunteer. November is National Homeless Youth Awareness Month and I plan to volunteer in events that are geared toward homeless youth throughout New York City.

 
E - Embrace
Embrace those around me, the wonderful city I live in and the wonderful opportunity life has given me. There are moments when home sickness sets in but I have realized that I am truly grateful for the opportunities I have been given and I am very grateful.
M - Mantain
Mainting friendships is a hard thing to do when one moves across the country. Even when I moved home after college for 9 months, maintaing friendships is always hard. Although you know the friends you can count on to always be there, its those who you wish would be there that you have to keep in touch with to maintain those relationships. I'd say I have done by best through emails, texts, Facebook, cards and phone calls to maintain those friendships that I plan keep for a long time. Here's to continuing to do so.
B - Budget
Living on your own makes you learn to do a lot of things, budgeting being one of the most important. Between rent, bills, food and other necessities, budgeting can make life a lot simpler and less stressful when the time comes for bills to be paid. I've never been great a budgeting, but moving here has made me started to become better. Lets kick off November on a great foot!
E - Educate
Not being formally educated in the field of my job, my goal is to become more informed about environmental, health and safety on a daily basis. Whether it be attending trainings which I am now in charge of organizing, asking my boss and fellow colleagues questions or looking into enrolling in college courses, I plan to learn everything there is to know about what I am involved in.
R - Read
My great group of friends here are constantly sharing books, offering suggestions and discussing books they have read. I have recently joined in on the book borrowing process and have read The Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao, which was an amazing book and suggestion. Thanks Janssen! So I have aquired a second book, The Corrections. My goal is to keep up with this as I have missed lesuirely reading instead of required by school or work.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Now I can post. :)

    I LOVED this ... so clever! Love you sister :)

    ReplyDelete