Monday, January 14, 2013

Greetings from Georiga

This weekend I went to visit my sister in Georgia (a new state for me!). She lives outside of Atlanta, in Athens also the home of the University of Georgia where she works. After arriving Friday night, we went over to downtown Atlanta to pick up our running goodie bags and bibs for the Hot Chocolate 5k/15k that we were running on Sunday morning. The expo was efficient and quick to get through which was nice after coming off of the plane. With a quick stop for dinner, we headed back to Athens and I finally got to see Molly after not seeing her since she was 6 months old (now 4 years old!).

Saturday we woke up, lounged around a bit then got ready to adventure around Athens for the day before heading back to Atlanta for the night. We took Molly to the dog park, went to the State of Georgia Botanical Gardens (which would have been gorgeous with everything in bloom), walked/drove around University of Georgia with fun facts from my sister and ended the afternoon in downtown Athens for a quick bite. The university is HUGE but gorgeous with all the old style and brick buildings, green landscapes and fountains. I think I would get lost going to school there. Wandering around Athens, it reminds me how much I love big cities and probably couldn't live in a small college-focused town. That night we headed back down towards Atlanta to stay with my sister's friend Heather who was also running the race.

Sunday morning we woke up bright and early to head to Turner Field, Home of the Braves, to get ready for the race. I was running the 5k so I left first while Heather and my sister were running the 15k and would be leaving half hour after I did. The 5k started at Turner Field, ran under/by the Olympic Rings and torch near the parking lots, past the Capitol building, around Georgia State University and looped back to the other side of Turner Field for the finish. My sister had forewarned me about the hills I would probably expect so when the first small hill came I wasn't too shocked. It was the largest hill about half way through that really got me but I managed to run to the top of it with as much effort as I could. Getting to the mile 2 marker I checked the time and realized I was making under a 13 minute mile so I was thrilled! Pushing with all my might, I powered through the last 1.26 miles (turned out to be longer than the 5k =3.1 miles). I knew from the official time maker at the finish line to cut at least 15 minutes off since I was in the 2nd to last group to leave the starting line. So overall: 40 minutes and 9 seconds. I was so excited since this was my first official timed 5k. With post race chocolate-ness I ate and waited for my sister and Heather to come through the finish line.

Spontaneity kicked in on our way back to Heathers to change, shower and relax. My sister and I ended up buying last minute tickets to the Atlanta Falcons vs Seattle Seahawks playoff game! I was so exhausted so being able to sit and enjoy the game was my plan. But once we go to the stadium and our seats I realized that wasn't going to happen as much as I planned. The Georiga Dome is amazing and the crowds are just as fun and friendly avid fans. The energy in the stadium not only could be heard but felt through the floor vibrating with all the contagious energy. What a great way to end my trip in Atlanta. Post game we headed over to the CNN Center to stop at the Atlanta Braves store to pick up something for my bosses son who loves the Braves. Deciding that walking around the Coca Cola world was not appealing since we were exhausted my sister and I grabbed dinner and then dropped me off at the aiport.

All in all, a whirlwind of a 51 hour trip to Atlanta but definitely one for the books. Next time I will have to be more touristy in Atlanta.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great trip sister! Next time we'll a) make it longer, b) plan it all out better so we're not exhausted c) get you more time with Molly.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete