Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Purple Stride and Bronx Zoo Weekend :)

What a weekend this was, I feel like it went by so fast with all the different things going on. After a half day Friday due to our internal system being down, I managed to squeeze in errands (including picking up my race information/packet for Saturday's run) and a nap before heading to Long Island City to watch my roommate perform for the first time. The performance was at The Secret Theater, a cute little theater that made the performance feel intimate and close with the performers. My roommate was part of musical that was being performed by the first time with music by one of her close friends. Watching her made me realize that I'm not so artsy but love watching others enjoy their passion and talent.

Purple Stride 2013
Saturday morning was race time! Although it didn't start until 10am (late I would say), I was awake and ready to roll by 8am so I decided to head out early knowing that I had to take the crosstown bus over the triborough bridge. Once I got off the bus and walked downstairs into Riverside Park I had about half an hour until it was run time. Since this was the Purple Stride event (the Pancreatic Cancer run/walk held every year) I knew there would be plenty to check out pre and post race. There was a DJ with seating area, games, awareness booths, tables for highest fundraisers to decorate and sit at, merchandise table, photo area with backdrop and plenty other things to check out. After checking out the tables and dropping my bag off at the gear check I headed out the start line. After a moment of silence for those in Boston, I was off. Despite never running in this area before, my colleague Gregg, who lives near the area, gave me a brief "what to expect" list on Friday. Boy did his list help as I knew to expect a mix of hills, dirt trails and concrete paths. Overall the race was not as bad as I expected and the weather was perfect. Overall I felt great post race minus a bit of wheezing from my asthma/allergies kicking in. While walking towards the exit after getting my bag I stopped to take a quick photo in front of the Purple Stride backdrop and was kindly offered purple garb to dress in for fun. Thanks fellow runners!

Pretty entrance to the zoo

After errands and a hair consult, which I am getting my hair cut today(!!), I relaxed the rest of the night at home gearing up for Sunday which was spent going to the Bronx Zoo with Brett. I was thrilled to be going as I love the zoo and it's been on my NY bucket list since moving here almost 2 years ago.

The zoo is way up in the Bronx in Bronx Park that also houses botanical gardens. After an hour trip via subway/bus we made it! It's a short walk to one of the entrances to the zoo from the subway; not realizing that there are about 4 entrances total which makes things easier I'd say. It was a gorgeous zoo with old concrete style buildings as their administration offices and a few animal houses. The weather turned out perfectly to enjoy all that the zoo has to offer. Brett and I even indulged in some kiddie things like the petting zoo and taking goofy pictures. Overall it was an amazing day that I am glad I got to do.

Here's to the rest of April, spending this week seeing sorority sisters in town, playing kickball and seeing my sister run the Nike Women's Half Marathon in Washington DC this weekend; I'm excited to go to DC this weekend as I have never been. Check back for more next week!

1 comment:

  1. Love this - SO excited for this weekend. Yayyyyyyyyyy! <3

    xoxo Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete