Thursday, May 31, 2012

Goodbye UES, Hello Astoria!

So as of yesterday I am officially moved in and a resident of Astoria. After moving everything in on Monday, I wasn't able to actually organize/unpack until yesterday as the previous roommate didn't move until then. Much thanks to her for the free television and large 6 drawer dresser from Ikea. I was in the hunt for a TV and dresser but didn't want to spend much money on either.

Living in the Upper East Side was a great experience for the first time I ever lived in New York City. Although I was quite far from the subway and major shopping streets, I enjoyed the fact that it was quiet. It felt like I was back in the Sunset district of San Francisco. Few dislikes about where I lived: took at least 45 minutes to commute to work (whether by subway or bus), was located a little to far from the subway/major streets (I basically was on the East River), my room had a small window that barely let in any natural light and lastly, that the apartment was a fourth floor walk up. Perks were that the building had laundry and the super was very attentive to any problems/needs we had. I will miss my roommate who I've been friends with since college, but I know she is excited to finally have her boyfriend/family in New York. Good luck to her.

My new place in Astoria is right near the Triborough bridge and 31st St/Astoria Blvd. It's nice to be in an outer borough and feel like I live in more of the suburbs than in a big city. I've always liked that feeling, so I'm excited to save money and enjoy it. Perks of my new place: 2 blocks to the subway with a 20 minute commute to work, on the first floor, half a block to the Bohemian Beer Garden (a great place for summer time), more space and two large windows that have tons of natural light. Few dislikes I've encountered so far: laundry is on the next block (not too horrible), grocery stores are at least one subway stop away and even though I have more natural light/windows the room gets warmer faster. Here's to my new place and awesome new roommate Monica!

My birthday: 6 days!
Vacation/cruise: 12 days!

1 comment:

  1. Love the new place sister! Can't wait for more photos inside!

    ReplyDelete