Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Little Late, 2013 Running Recap

I realized the other day that I never did a running recap for the New Years Resolution I completed for 2013. I completed 12 races and 1 volunteering race to make 13 for 2013. What can I say, it was a great challenge that I feel proud to have accomplished it. After the year was completed, I can only say I am feeling happier, healthier and definitely stronger than where I started in January 2013.


Last race of 2013
Best atmosphere: Dirty Girl Mud Run by far! Between running with 3 of my closest friends, raising money for breast cancer, getting down and dirty while working out and running in the rain, this was such a blast.

Best personal time: Roosevelt Island Spring Fling ended up being my PR for the year. I think besides the fact it was the flattest course I ran, weather and running solo did wonders for me. I wasn't side tracked mentally with thoughts of keeping up with people I knew running.

Most organized race: I am not so sure on this as each race had different aspects that were better than others. NYRR races are definitely organized when it comes to corrals, water stations, mile makers and directions throughout the course. But I would say that the race with the best race check in was the Rock 'n' Roll 10k.

Best post-race: Hmm... I would say the Color Run still beats every other race I've done. Having a blast dancing amongst everyone else covered in color, throwing color into the crowd and the giveaways volunteers threw into the crowd sealed the spot for best post-race.

Best goodie bag / post race offerings: This is a tie between the hot chocolate bowls/treats in Atlanta, the beer options at Dirty Girl Mud Run and the Rock 'n' Roll 10k in Prospect Park. Chocolate vs beer? Tough choice, but I think beer wins.

Favorite shirt / goodie bag: Favorite shirt is the NY Giants Run of Champions shirt.. although wasn't the best fit it was not just a plain cotton t-shirt.

Least favorite exciting race: Least exciting race was the Running Festival of Lights race in Bay Ridge. Had it not been 9 degrees and extremely windy, I would have been much more thrilled to running along the gorgeous water front. I think my mind and body was also not prepared for this race as much as it should have.


All 12 races I ran!
So by the numbers:
Number of races: 12 ran, 1 volunteered
Number of miles ran: 42.2 miles
Number of states ran in: 4! Georgia, New York, New Jersey, California
Places I ran: parks, a downtown of a city, an island, a football stadium, a baseball stadium, an air field, a racetrack, along a waterfront, a college, a dirt horse trail and local neighborhoods.
Number of boroughs completed a race in: 2 (sadly didn't even run a race in my current borough!)
Number of 5k's: 9
Number of other races: 3! two 4-milers and one 10k
Number of free beers: 2
Number of races ran alone: 1
Number of races ran with my sister: 2!
Number of races involving mud, color powder, obstacles, etc.: 3
Number of metals received: 2 

So now what? Maybe a half marathon? Who knows but keep an eye out or come join me for a run! 

No comments:

Post a Comment